Modern medicine has brought so many wonderful advancements, but has also boxed in our physical wellness.
While they see the analytics, diagnoses, and unexplained issues as simply that, they are not able to show you the best of what a healthy and happy life should be like.
To do this, you have to look at the whole body and find the root cause to truly bring healing.
You may hear the word “holistic” health and immediately think of Chinese medicine or Eastern practices. But did you know it’s more encompassing than just individual healing systems? While these are all practiced within a holistic mindset, they themselves are not where this line of thinking begins.
If you can view your entire person as body, mind, and spirit, you will experience a happier wellness-based lifestyle!
Ready to find out how to experience optimal health?! Let’s jump in!
Holistic Health and Wellness
The holistic approach is — by nature — the simple method of looking at a person as a whole. And with that backdrop, you are able to paint a better lifestyle and future for yourself and for your family.
Instead of looking at your wellness in “silos” or individual symptoms or single groups of physical systems, you recognize that your body is more complex than that!
Some alternative wellness practices to consider are —
- Yoga Poses
- Personal Training
- Integrative Medical Practices
Most people start searching for holistic medical practices when they’ve been experiencing chronic pain or have issues that western medicine isn’t taking care of fully. While we recognize that you may need to use complimentary medical practices to help find true healing, finding an integrative medical professional and making holistic living choices can truly help you!
Why is Holistic Heath Important?
We know that the climate is changing and that our environments are full of chemicals, including air, water, personal and home products, and our foods! With the fast-paced lifestyle, we’re also sitting in front of screens more and feeling more stress and fatigue. With all of these things, no wonder we are living with more undiagnosed symptoms and chronic autoimmune issues!
We need to do better, for ourselves, for our families, and for our futures!
We’re going to take a look at five elements of holistic health, which includes your mental, emotional, spiritual, physical, and social well-being.
This subject is SO large, we can’t go over everything, but we hope to give you the basics so that you’re prepare to improve your overall quality of life.
We’re starting with emotional wellness because it’s an often overlooked and under-prioritized aspect of personal wellness. When we’re moving and working and going all the time, how can we prioritize how we’re really feeling - or even know that there can be a better way?!
To help support emotional wellness —
- Tell yourself it’s okay to slow down. You don’t have to be everything for everyone all the time. While it’s admirable to take on responsibility, if you take on too much, you’ll feel burnout and not give every one in your life your best, including yourself.
Encourage peace in your life with hygge or living well at home. If Covid taught us anything, it’s the importance of creating a space to relax well with your family and friends.
- Challenge limiting beliefs. You know the thoughts, the ones that say, “I’m not good enough,” or “I’m dreaming too big.” Take a realistic look at your schedule and passions and work, and ask yourself where you can pair down and where you can move forward. Understand your giftedness and move within that!
- Practice mindfulness. You can find breathing exercises and more to help you be present and focused.
- Journal. Journaling is an art form that is coming back because it slows us down as we’re writing, helps us focus on what we’re grateful for, and more.
- Support true rest in your life by relaxing and restoring.
- If you notice you have a Seasonal Affective Disorder or the winter blues, be sure you get in the sun as much as possible and enjoy time outdoors and exercise as often as you can.
The next part goes hand-in-hand with your emotional wellness. Mental wellness is the bridge between the emotional and physical. Our mental health is impacted by our emotions but is the working of how our brain functions and interprets events.
- If you think you may need counseling or therapy, do it. You can never fully understand the power of helping your mind find healing until you walk through the process.
- Challenge your brain with problem-solving challenges and stay active.
- Make sure you’re getting enough omega-3 fatty acids to help support your brain function.
- Avoid alcohol, drinking, smoking, and excessive caffeine. All of these things will contribute to issues with mental wellness.
- Support gut health. You may have heard of the gut-brain connection, but did you know that the foods you consume can definitely impact how you think and feel? Support your body with gut healing foods.
Ok, we’re at the center of holistic wellness - the physical side.
As you bring in the mental and emotional aspects, these physical habits will help support your physical symptoms. Unlike western medicine, there’s not a one-size-fits-most. You’re going to have to try different things to see if it works for your body.
Just know you’re in this for the long haul, because your body can need different things at different times.
- Sleep is so important. Ensure you’re resting well by limiting blue light exposure before sleep, practice relaxing self care, and potentially incorporate sex into your bedtime routines if you’re in a healthy relationship. All of these things can help you get the rest you need and repair from the day for overall health.
- Move your body. Be sure you’re getting at least 30 minutes of moment each day!
- Enjoy a nutrient dense diet. While fads come and go, eat the rainbow for optimal health! Make the majority of your nutrients come from vegetables and fruit, adding in organic pasture raised meats, and organic grains (if you tolerate it), and use teas, adaptogens, supplements, and other whole food sources to support your body.
- Limit processed foods and excessive sugar or caffeine consumption. Find natural sources of energy as much as possible!
- Find the right integrative medical professionals to help you pinpoint what your body needs if you're suffering with symptoms of gut dysbiosis, autoimmune issues, or anxiety. The right team can help you find lasting wellness.
- Choose sustainable products as much as possible. Limit the chemical load around you in your home, personal care products, feminine products, and more! If you need an occasional detox, find a gentle system and work up to larger detox protocols as needed.
As we turn outward, we recognize that our social lives require maintenance to help minimize our stress levels! Having a deep and healthy connection with friends and family cultivates the sense of community!
- Set aside time for in-person relationship building and connection. Whether it’s serving in volunteer organizations, programs, your church, or clubs, you can find “your place” and find fulfillment in sharing with others.
- Prioritize your spouse, your children, and extended family and friends, in that order. Often, we give the worst parts of ourselves to those closest to us. Be sure to prioritize your life partner!
- Don’t let negative energy bring you down. If a loved one or friend is struggling, don’t allow their issues to bring toxic stress into your life. Support others by encouraging they find holistic wellness in their own life. If your partner is struggling, have an honest conversation with that person and seek out help together. Remind him or her that you support and love them and want a healthier existence for both of you!
Finally, your spiritual life plays into your wellness. If you believe in God or have faith, be sure you’re practicing and learning and growing! You can do this by —
- Spending time in prayer and thanksgiving.
- Reading and learning about your faith.
- Serving others.
- Spending time in nature, connection with God and enjoy the beauty around you.
On the Road to Wellness
We hope that this form of healing helps you find balance. It’s amazing how you can grow in your personal wellness with the physical, mental, and spiritual connection! This approach to health can help you avoid daily struggles and achieve optimal health and happiness.
As you begin to weed out the negative and focus in on the positive, you’ll find a more satisfying journey on the road to holistic health. Continue to explore supplemental ways to help support your whole body and secure your future happiness!